≡ Menu
Tel: 020 8798 0514
Emegency Number: 078 6504 9508

Why Your UK Student Visa May Be Cancelled

temporary permit

UK Student Visa

Worldwide, the number of international students continues to grow. Global body Unesco figures that the rise in student numbers across the world, UK included, will grow by as much as 12% every year.

As a student in the UK, there are circumstances that might cause an impact on your studies, which ultimately affects your visa status. Thus, you are advised to exercise care to ensure you are on the right side of the UKBA (UK Border Agency), which oversees visa applications in conjunction with the institution you study at. One wrong move and your visa could be canceled, at which point you will require the services of a great immigration lawyer.

  • Taking a break from studies without notifying your institution in advance, can be reason for visa cancellation. Granted, personal reasons (health, finances, and suspension, among others) might require you to take a break, but you have to inform your institution first so that it can be easy for you to resume your course.
  • Conversely, should you consider withdrawing from your course, speak to your school first to find a solution. Withdrawing without notice requires the school to report the same to the UKBA, which will immediately commence cancellation procedures.
  • Occasionally, some students complete their courses ahead of schedule. Your institution will notify the UKBA of this change in completion dates, at which point the agency may (or not) cancel your visa, depending on the time left on your visa.
  • In other cases, the UKBA might deny/reject one a student visa outright. This is a very precarious position to find yourself in, the faster your find a good immigration lawyer to help make an appeal, the better.
  • UK student visa

    Eight things to do before applying for your indefinite leave to remain

    Changing courses without notifying the UKBA is also grounds for visa cancellation, especially if you do it without notifying your old institution of the change in course.

  • All students on student visas are required to study full-time. Studying part-time is grounds for visa cancellation. On the same note, students are also advised to attend ALL their classes (100% attendance rate), and submit all assignments, and sit for exams as expected. Failure to do this, in accordance with an institutions rules and expectations for international students, could very well be the end of your stay in the UK.

Should you find yourself in circumstances that have the potential to impact your studies, and student visa, the best course of action is to find an immigration lawyer that can help you. That’s us. We have years of experience in UK immigration law, and will be more than happy to ensure you continue (and complete) your studies here.

# # # #

Immigration case can be traumatic. It can cause painful separation of families and place your entire future into jeopardy.

This is why it is very important that your immigration case is handled by immigration lawyers who specialise in immigration law.

Immigration legislations are constantly changing. It is very difficult for lawyers who are engaged in other aspects of law to keep up with the constant changing immigration legislations.

Our groups of immigration lawyers core competence is immigration law.

So for any information regarding your immigration status whether is it to regularise your stay, obtain your resident permit or permanent Leave to Remain, British citizenship application, visa application for family member, top talent or student visa, call us on 020 8798 0514.

Meanwhile, to gain instant access to the UK Immigration Handbook: An investigative report of how to move from illegal immigrant to British citizenship, please click on the below link:



Please note that the information provided in this articles is not intended to serve as a substitute for legal advice. For in-depth information about UK immigration and nationality law or policy please contact an immigration lawyer or an Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) registered immigration adviser.

{ 0 comments… add one }

Leave a Comment